99 Problems But This Test Ain't One

Disclaimer: I'm typing without actually looking at my screen right now (because of my concussion, I"m supposed to give my brain some "rest" this week). I apologize for errors here, and I'm grateful to my sixth grade keyboarding class for forcing me to take typing tests where I had to turn the screen off. I didn't see the usefulness then, but I sure do now!

31 Best crucible images in 2020 | English teacher humor, Classroom ...

To be clear: "99 Problems" by Jay Z is offensive. Its lyrics are unapologetically misogynistic. I think its video might be banned in the U.S. If I were driving my mother-in-law home from the airport and "99 Problems" came on, I would quickly switch the station. If Jay Z and I were sitting next to each other at Thanksgiving, I think one of us would end up shoving the other one's head into the stuffing.

But when I need to get up a giant hill at the end of a 60-minute run? "99 Problems" is the only song I want to hear. It makes that hill my "witch," if you know what I'm saying. In more appropriate terms, it's my walk-up song.

And if I were getting ready to take an A.P. test in my house? That's right--"99 Problems" would be blasting right up to the minute I logged in.

So the blogging this week looks a little different. Instead of continuing on with our culminating essay blogs (which we'll wrap up in the next two weeks), we're going to start thinking about getting ourselves in the right headspace for taking an A.P. test at home. If you're like me, you've been wasting a lot of your mental energy on trying to figure out your daily schedule...when are my Zoom meetings today? What's due today? When I am going to eat? Typically, our schedules are determined for us with bells punctuating the majority of our transitions. The rigor of a 6-period school schedule with after school practices, jobs, etc might not always be fun, but it frees our minds of having to make decisions about when an activity is done and when another should start. In short, it's stressful to have to structure your own days.

On the day of the A.P. test, you don't want to waste any of your precious brainpower by wondering when you're going to get up, when you're going to eat, where you're going to take the test, etc. So we're going to start to figure that out today.

Here are some things I want you to think through on post on your blog by THIS FRIDAY.

Considering that your A.P. Lit is at noon on Wednesday, May 13, how does your morning need to play out in order to make sure that you're in that ideal state of relaxed and inspired, confident and humble, focused and excited? Describe what your morning routine will be. You can type this, make a video and post it, or a combination of both.

Questions to consider and address on your blog:

1. What time will you get up that day? Give yourself plenty of time to reach full consciousness. What will you do that morning? I'm a big fan of doing some kind of exercise before the test (walk, run, meditate, etc.). Your verbal skills are strongest when paired with physical movement.

2. What will you eat that day, and when? You don't want to be hungry during the test, but you also don't want to be digesting anything heavy. If you're caffeine-addicted like me, make sure you give the caffeine at least 20 minutes to activate.

3. Where in your house will you physically take the test? Does your family know to be quiet and leave you alone? Does your internet work well in this space? What screen will you be using? Is there a printer in this space? Does your printer have fresh ink, paper, etc?

4. What will your routine be the night before the test to make sure you get a good night's sleep?

5. My favorite one: What will be your walk-up song? What song gets you through the last quarter mile of the race? Note: this is the music that you listen to BEFORE you start the test (I would never listen to "99 Problems" while actually composing an essay--way too distracting).

Last year, my A.P. Lit students rocked out to "Unwritten." It's inspiring, PG-rated, and lyrically relevant. But if you need something with sharper teeth, I get it.

My one request: If your song has offensive content, please do your best to post the "clean" version of it on your blog so that I don't get fired. The only school-appropriate version of "99 Problems" is the instrumental one, so that's what I've embedded below. Enjoy, and I can't wait to read these!


Comments

  1. Dissapointed not to see Nelly's "Dilemma" on there...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can I Share Solitude? April 28, 2020

The Ghost of Michael Jackson